Metsä Group: www.metsagroup.com Metsä Group is a forerunner in sustainable bioeconomy utilising renewable wood from sustainably managed northern forests. Metsä Group focuses on wood supply and forest services, wood products, pulp, fresh fibre paperboards and tissue and greaseproof papers. In 2019, Metsä Group's sales totalled EUR 5.5 billion, and it employs approximately 9,300 people. Metsäliitto Cooperative is the parent company of Metsä Group and is owned by approximately 103,000 Finnish forest owners.
Metsä Wood is one of the leading European producers of engineered wood products. Metsä Wood is committed to serving construction, industrial and distribution customer with competitive and environmentally friendly wood products. Metsä Wood's products include Kerto® LVL, plywood and other wood products.
Metsä Wood's sales in 2019 were EUR 0.4 billion, and currently employing approximately 1,500 people. Metsä Wood is part of Metsä Group.
Metsä Wood UK
As part of our site Mill Team you will be responsible for working within a team on timber based production lines. The production lines produce finished timber products from the raw material using Moulders, Re-saws, inline X-cut saws etc through to packaging.
The role involves a high awareness of site safety, and requires proactive compliance with site standards
This role requires working shift patterns and will report in to the Site Production Manager / Supervisor.
About Metsä Wood UK
Metsä Wood UK annual turnover is c.£150m with production volumes of up to 500,000m³ and the UK entity employs c.400 people across four automated manufacturing and distribution sites:
> Boston, Lincolnshire (UK Head Office, 13 hectare site, c.280 staff) softwood planing and MDF processing.
> Widnes, Cheshire (8 hectare site, c.80 staff) softwood planing.
> King's Lynn, Norfolk (9 hectare site, c.30 staff) manufacture of Finnjoist i-beams and timber treatment.
> Grangemouth, Scotland (9 hectare site, 10 staff) distribution hub.
The largest share of revenue is generated though the Merchant and DIY channel. Its Industrial segment includes door and bed manufacturers, whilst the Housebuilder sector serves some of the key players in the construction market.
Metsä Wood UK core products consist of machined softwood, panel products and a range of specialist products such as MDF mouldings. These ranges complement the Group product sales which puts us in a unique position to serve the UK building materials distribution market.
About Metsä Group
Metsä Group is a Finnish forest industry group, with more than 80 years of history, that operates in international markets. Owned by over 100,000 Finnish forest owners, we use the best renewable raw material in the world - northern wood - responsibly and efficiently. All of the wood raw material we use is fully traceable. Products made from renewable raw materials are in high demand, as competition for natural resources is tight.
Our business operations cover the entire value chain for wood. We focus on wood products, paperboard, pulp, tissue and cooking papers, wood supply and forest services. Our strong wood and fibre expertise is concentrated in fields where we have a clear competitive advantage and a bright future.
In addition to an excellent raw material, forests provide lots of renewable energy. We are one of the leading producers and users of renewable energy in Finland. Energy efficiency and the use of renewable energy are key ways to fight climate change, and they also improve our cost-efficiency and competitiveness.?
The company is well known for its reputation of high-quality products using renewable raw materials, customer-orientation, sustainable development and innovation.
In 2018, Metsä Group's sales totalled c.€5.7bn. The Group employs over 9,000 people, operating in over 30 countries across five core business areas: Metsä Tissue, Metsä Board, Metsä Fibre, Metsä Wood and Metsä Forest, of which 3 have a presence in the UK. With offices throughout the country, Metsä Group employs over 500 people in the UK.
- Complete induction assessment
- Understand the process.
- Get to know the site and work colleagues / key stakeholders
- Begin sign-off on training.
Team members work within a team on timber based production lines. The production lines produce finished timber products from the raw material using Moulders, Re-saws, inline X-cut saws etc through to packaging
The Team member's role is to operate X-cut/Re-saws and any handling equipment within the lines to produce timber-based products to specified drawings, within tight tolerances and to a high quality standard.
As a Team Member you will be required to complete the following;
- Set up re-saws/ x-cut and handling equipment
- Handle tooling in the correct way using the appropriate PPE when necessary
- Read and understand drawings and measure the products to ensure they meet requirements
- Have a good understanding of quality standards and how to rectify any issues that may arise
- Work within a team to set targets
- The team member must have a good understanding of health and safety and be comfortable working in a team to meet and achieve both quality and performance driven targets.
- Team members will work as part of the team to ensure the highest safety, quality and performance levels are achieved daily and will report to their line team leaders.
- The boundaries of the targeted equipment/process area that the Team Member is assigned are clearly identified to ensure the work fits with the departments overall plan. The Team Member will be supported by the supervisor on shift and will know who the relevant engineers are for their area.
- Filling in of various paperwork
- General cleaning and tidying up
A Team Member will:
Clean Inspect Lubricate (CIL)
- Know the CILs (Clean, Inspect and Lubricate) for their area and support their completion with support
- Support initial CIL work which can be intense to restore the equipment to base conditions
- Seeks to find defects within their area and highlight to line management.
- Track/report losses in the equipment
- A Team Member may support basic maintenance tasks and change overs with support
- Maintain 5S (Sort, Set in order, Shine, Standardise, Systemise) standards of appearance for equipment/area
- Participate in for any modifications/additions to equipment
- Complete further AM (Autonomous Maintenance) steps on equipment as appropriate
Team Members need to be able to:
- Talk with other Team Members, Supervisors and Engineering on their shift
- Read and understand the Cell Boards at the beginning of each shift to remain up to date with developments
- Provide support to new recruits or agency workers
- Assisting machinist with the Changeover between jobs
- Assisting in the preparation of standard procedures concerning Changeovers for each SKU
Work safety and compliance
- Observe all regulations, and collective and company agreements
- Suitable factory experience
- MHE experience carrying out similar picking / loading activities
- Experience of delivering an excellent safety performance
- Flexibility towards working shift patterns and overtime as required
Desirable but not essential:
- Experience of using wood machinery
- Experience of handling timber product
- Team player
- Good communicator
We offer an environment that is friendly, welcoming and supportive. We encourage everyone to be the best they can be, working together to achieve great results.
25 days holiday per annum with various service related increments
Lots of great benefits
Submit your application using the link "Apply". Do it as soon as possible, as we will start processing the applications already during the application period. Include your CV and also tell us your salary request. Good luck!