We are looking for software developers who are motivated by working on software that has a measurable impact on business. As a consultant at Columbia Road, you will be working in the core of our clients’ business; advising, designing and implementing the tech needed to drive the business forward.
Who we are
Columbia Road is an independent Futurice subsidiary challenging the old ways of running ecommerce and digital business. We exist to increase our clients’ revenue and help them get more customers in the digital era. Our tight-knit team consists of business consultants who understand software and highly talented business-driven design and technology specialists.
We believe that technology is a tool which we need to master, but the actual business impact of the service is the first thing we want to understand, and select proper tooling after that.
We, like Futurice, are a great place to work. Our company spirit is one of a true start-up, but with a twist of hard-core experience. We believe in giving a lot of responsibility and freedom to our employees. We love to laugh a lot, play some tunes at the office and grab a few drinks after work.
You build businesses with code. You build storefronts, APIs and the integrations needed to glue them together. Your focus is likely on some part of the stack, be it frontend, backend or something like complex integrations but you aren’t too afraid to get your hands dirty with the other areas when necessary. You are comfortable working with a variety of programming languages and technology stacks - or at least you are interested to jump in and learn new skills. Columbia Road is not trying to provide the same solution to everyone, and sometimes that requires quite a bit of adapting from our side.
The focus on digital sales still means that we are tackling a large variety of projects. These range from ecommerce platform and data platform projects to site optimisation and mobile development. For a few concrete examples of our tech cases, take a look at the Servaali case of a new microservice business-to-business shop, the full webstore renewal project for Oura, and our work for Matsmart in optimisation of an existing store.
All of our consultants work directly with client stakeholders to build a good understanding of their business and its challenges. While development is probably where most of your time goes, we are in the business of creating impact for our clients, and that means spending some time to understand how the business functions. We help our clients in translating the business opportunities into actionable plans and concrete solutions.
We work as diverse teams of digital sales experts, tailored to each project. In some projects this means working as part of a larger development team, while sometimes the setup needed is a growth team. As we believe that best results arise from freedom for employees, all teams have wide latitude to choose the best tools and ways of working for themselves. This also means that your technology stack and specific role may vary between projects. We see this as a great opportunity for professional growth and are looking for colleagues who also value this.
- Experience in building web services and familiarity with both frontend and backend development. Your focus can be more on frontend, backend or broader systems but you aren’t afraid to jump in to any point. Languages familiar to you could include e.g. Scala, Go, Python, Java, JS or PHP.
- Understanding of the entire web development process (design, development, deployment, operations)
- Great communication skills
- Analytical mindset and problem solving skills
- Past experience in consulting or digital commerce would be very valuable but is not necessary
First interview: before diving deeper into your skills, we want to know who you are and what motivates you. This is also an opportunity for you to learn more about Columbia Road. We also let you present highlights from your career and tell us about your roles and learnings.
Second interview: you get to meet more Columbia Road people, and the conversation will zoom in to the areas that we’ve identified as most interesting in the first meeting. We’re trying to get a solid understanding of your skills and ambitions. You will understand better how you would potentially fit into our team.
Sometimes it’s useful to have a third round. After all, we’re making a match between our organisation and you, as a human being. We want to get this right.
When we’re done with the face-to-face discussions, we’ll contact the people you have chosen as references.
- As a Columbia Road employee you have the option to buy stocks of the company through the common employee share program
- We offer a wide range of possibilities to shape your own role as you see best fit for your personal development goals and growth
- You'll have the best people to work with and learn from in a truly flat organisation
- Competitive salary
- Brick-n-mortar office in downtown Helsinki
- Lunch benefit
- Phone benefit
- Pick the laptop and phone of your choosing
- Health care & service
- Insurance for travel and free-time
- Recurring training & learning sessions
- Wellness and personal development (tools, events, etc.) reimbursement
- Friday breakfasts
- Sports, culture & massage vouchers
- Company excursion trips (we've been to Tallinn, Berlin, London and Stockholm so far)
- Option to have housing as a part of total compensation (tax deductible)
- Compensation for working on open source or social programs on your free time