Suunto was founded in 1936 by Tuomas Vohlonen, a Finnish orienteer and inventor of liquid-filled field compass. Since then Suunto has been at the forefront of design and innovation for sports watches, dive computers and instruments, which are used by adventure seekers all over the globe. From the highest mountains to the deepest oceans, Suunto equips adventurers to conquer new territory. Suunto’s headquarters and manufacturing plant is in Vantaa, Finland. Employing more than 400 people worldwide, Suunto products are sold in over 100 countries. The company is a subsidiary of Amer Sports Corporation along with its sister brands Salomon, Arc’teryx, Atomic, Wilson, Peak Performance, Precor, and Mavic.
We are looking for a
Head of Communications
to join our Marketing team in Vantaa.
As a Head of Communications, you will be primarily responsible for consumer-facing communications and content ideation as Suunto‘s „chief story-teller“. Your role involves leading the Communications team to develop brand and product messages that stand out and connect with our consumers. If you think that you could be the Head of Communications that we are looking for, keep on reading and apply! We will proceed quickly with this recruitment, so submit your application as soon as possible.
In this position, your overall focus is on developing content that builds awareness and engagement for the Suunto brand across various touch-points: Earned Media, Shared Media, and Own Media channels. You also have operational responsibility for PR activities, including Crisis Management, Corporate and Internal communications. On top, you would also be responsible for functionally leading and coaching the Communication team into being an Amer Sports benchmark team.
Key activities for the role are:
- Leads the process to create shareable and relevant Brand/Product stories that generate both emotional bonding and rational understanding. Works with Product and Commercial Marketing to align Comms team content (more focused on shared, earned and owned media channels) with Brand/Product campaigns (more focused on paid media channels). All content should build brand equity and ultimately create product demand.
- Ensures Brand and Product stories delivered efficiently across key consumer touchpoints – own channels (Suunto.com, Suunto App), earned media (press and bloggers), shared media (social media channels) and partner media channels (partner apps and retailer digital shelves). Ensures internal terminology translated into consumer-facing language for devices, software upgrades, app communication.
- Owns PR activities, including crisis management, corporate and internal communications. This includes PR agency briefings in support of product launches, creating press releases and distribution plans (plus follow-up), leading regional teams in managing PR agencies, acting as the contact person for local PR agencies managing press visits coordination, monthly and project based PR reports,
- Develops global strategy for athletes and events. Evaluates opinion leaders (including celebrities) for brand fit and story-telling potential
- Oversees localization of Suunto communications materials, and development of consumer-facing technical product information
In this role your main internal interfaces would be the headquarter Marketing teams, local Marketing teams, Commercial and Sales managers, Instore Excellence team, Design team, Consumer Care organization, Product Development team and Amer Sports corporate communication. External interfaces would be content creation partners, agencies, journalist and of course, our consumers.
What we expect from the candidate
You have passion for writing and are a natural story-teller. You have strong visual sense. You have minimum 8 years relevant work experience, ideally managing public relations projects that span multiple countries. You possess strong team leadership and people influencing skills, with work experience in an international matrix organization a plus. Fluent English and Finnish are needed to perform the role. You have the ability think of the bigger picture yet also pay attention to detail. You have a positive mind-set towards your work and people around you, yet are not afraid of driving change to make things more efficient.
Suunto offers an excellent working environment as one of Finland’s most desired employers. Suunto strives to create a workplace with an atmosphere characterized by our values – customer first, passion to win, cooperation and accountability.
If you feel there is a match made in communications heaven, apply now via this link. Latest date to apply is 25th May 2018.
For further information reach out to our consultant Timo Toivanen at Taplow Finland, +358 40 825 6357.